Counting The Days Until...

Tuesday, April 20, 2010



MY SUNNY FRIEND

I remember him so well. He was always there for me from the moment I turned 16 until that fateful day six years later. I learned so much while we were together. He patiently stayed with me while I learned how to drive stick shift, yet he never reacted. Well, he did shake a bit, but that’s what made him so special to me.

With him I always had a ride wherever I wanted to go. We even took a road trip together through the night to visit my sister who lived 500 miles away! That was an experience -- full of laughter, mystery and paranoia. When we stopped to fuel up in Georgia at two in the morning, I was convinced that the station attendant was acting suspiciously. He quickly got me out of there!

We loved to listen to music – the louder the better. We would head to the beach with the windows down and bands cranking. It didn’t matter if the weather was nice or not, just being together was what made the time worthwhile. He was adept at getting in and out of the tightest spots.

Our devotion to each other was mutual. I was proud of him and loved helping him look his best, especially when he had passed through muddy waters. All my friends knew that when they saw him, there I would be too. We were inseparable. I had my parents to thank for bringing us together, and my husband to blame for setting us apart. Yes, after only six years, my husband said it was time to trade my first and most beloved car in for a newer model.

My 1973 yellow Volkswagen was more than a car – he was a friend. I named him Sunny, because he always made me smile. How much I loved him. I cried when the time came for me to drive him one last time. I knew that this was the end of an era for me. How special he was, and I always wonder where he is today. Every time I see a yellow bug I look and smile, just in case my old friend is smiling back.